EDiS was founded in Wilmington, Delaware in 1908 as masonry contractor Ernest DiSabatino and Sons, Inc. From that time until the middle of the 1940′s Ernest DiSabatino and Sons, Inc. worked in the Wilmington area, developing a reputation for quality masonry construction. During that period, the company also developed an expertise in the concrete and carpentry trades. It was a natural progression for the organization to expand its capabilities to include general contracting. From 1945 to the early 1970s, the organization provided general contracting services while striving to maintain their reputation for providing clients with quality construction projects.
In the early 1970s, a new form of construction project delivery, construction management, was developed. Realizing construction management was an improvement over the traditional methods, the management of Ernest DiSabatino and Sons, Inc. decided to develop the expertise to provide the new service. EDiS Company was created to provide construction management services and capabilities to provide CM – Agent, CM – At Risk, and Design-Build services.
Since then, EDiS has continued to provide construction management services to clients in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and New Jersey. To date, EDiS’ construction volume exceeds $2 billion worth of work in place. EDiS continues to refine and improve its construction management services, maintaining the same commitment to quality construction established in 1908 by Ernest DiSabatino and Sons, Inc.
Ernesto DiSabatino and his sons begin work as stone masons in Wilmington, Delaware.
Bricklayers earned $3 for laying 1,000 bricks in 1908. In 2018, bricklayers earned approximately $3,000.
Wilmington Trust, 9th & Shipley Branch masonry work.
EDiS later completed a 300,000 SF Operations Center on 11th Street for Wilmington Trust in 1998.
St. Anthony’s Church opened for its first Mass on Palm Sunday 1926.
Ernesto received the distinguished Papal Cross for his work to establish the parish for Italian-Americans.
The company built and sold homes (inset photo) within the area of their “office home” at 415 Lincoln Street and they also built many of the area’s finer homes and estates (large photo).
DiSabatino Building, 200 W. 9th St.
This seven-story building, built and owned by the company in 1937, was considered one of the most modern facilities in this part of the country because of the fireproof design, heating controls, cooled-water drinking fountains, and elevators.
During World War II, the company helped major corporations convert their civilian factories over for viable wartime production (pictured here, Speakman Factory).
They also worked on government defense projects as well as wartime housing units.
The 1950s began a decade of building many of Delaware’s schools to educate the “Baby Boomers.”
The company was involved with primary, secondary, and post-secondary institutions for public, private, and parochial schools… a trend that continues today.
Pictured here, Ursuline Academy (larger photo) and Foulk Road Elementary School (inset photo).
Clarence “Sabby” DiSabatino, Jr. receives the “Safest Contractor in the Nation” Award from the President of the Association of General Contractors at their Annual Meeting in San Francisco.
EDiS Company introduces the Construction Management project delivery method to Delaware by building the Delaware Technical Community College’s Stanton, Terry, and Owens Campuses in 1972.
EDiS Constructs the 660,000 SF Hercules Plaza after helping the company with the negotiation on an Urban Development Action Grant to help reduce the cost of building in a downtown location.
EDiS Company acquires the Butler® pre-engineered building systems buildership to provide a new, cost-effective method of project delivery.
Crystal Holdings, Inc. was then formed to include the three corporate entities: Ernest DiSabatino & Sons (General Contractors), EDiS Company (Construction Managers), and EDiS Building Systems, Inc. (Butler Builder®).
Asset Management Alliance, a professional property management firm, was created as a joint venture with Bellevue Holding Co. to manage the building assets of many companies in the region.
The emergence of the company’s Interiors Division, which today has over 5.5 million SF of interiors work in place.
EDiS recognizes the potential of Wilmington’s waterfront and develops the four-story Riverwalk Centre at 110 S. Poplar Street which today houses EDiS’ corporate offices.
Peninsula United Methodist Homes, Inc. (PUMH)’s $35 million Heron Point Retirement Community in Chestertown, Maryland was one of EDiS’ largest design-build projects at that time.
EDiS completes the new Galleries Building for long-time client Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library.
EDiS completes 75,000 SF Delaware State University Science Annex, home to the school’s biology, physics, and chemistry departments and laboratories.
Christiana Care Health Services Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
EDiS built two major medical areas and many miscellaneous ancillary and supporting spaces at the Christiana Hospital.
In tribute to 90 years in the construction industry, EDiS establishes the biennial, half-day forum, the EDiS Institute.
Generation III Scholarships were also created in 1998 to honor the third generation of DiSabatinos who transformed the company from a small masonry business to a regional leader in construction services.
EDiS signs on to manage the first of seven major referendums for the Appoquinimink School District.
Goldey-Beacom College (GBC) dedicates their new Joseph West Jones College Center. The 38,000 SF Butler building houses a multi-purpose gym, a full-service stage for special events, a fitness center, and athletic facilities, among other spaces.
EDiS completes the Riverfront Market in Wilmington. The year 2000 is roughly the midpoint in all the projects EDiS has completed on the Riverfront:
Uniqema Corporate Headquarters project stands as a perfect example of EDiS’ Total Project Solution.
EDiS, as both the developer and construction manager, provided a Butler building and Asset Management Alliance was the property management company for the facility.
New Castle County Courthouse was completed. The company built the $137 million, 572,000 SF, 14-story building over 3.5 years in a joint venture with Jacobs.
The company formalizes their ongoing involvement by creating a “green team” of certified employees to keep EDiS clients up-to-date on green building techniques and sustainable design.
After being brought in as a partner in 2003, final planning commences for the landmark Town of Whitehall, Delaware’s first complete community since the mid-1800s.
EDiS delivered the Delaware Welcome Center (renamed the Biden Welcome Center in 2018) on I-95 just in time for the busy Fourth of July holiday.
EDiS establishes an office in Downstate Delaware to service clients including Beebe Medical Center, Cape Henlopen School District, and others.
Dover Public Library opened, boasting numerous sustainable elements in support of its LEED Silver Certification, including a green roof and geothermal/ice storage heating and air conditioning.
EDiS relocates the Southeastern Pennsylvania office to Malvern, 7 years after first opening in West Chester.
The Barton Malow/EDiS Joint Venture is awarded the construction of Orchard Hall, the first-ever residence hall to be constructed at The Pennsylvania State University Brandywine Campus.
EDiS establishes EDiS BIM Services to bring our clients the newest advances in construction technology.
EDiS relocates the Downstate Delaware office to John J. Williams Highway in Lewes.
EDiS named as the Construction Manager for the Appoquinimink School District’s $267 million 2016 Capital Improvement Program, which included 4 major projects. This marked the continuation of an 18-year partnership building schools for Appoquinimink.
EDiS completes the New Castle County Route 9 Library & Innovation Center, a state-of-the-art community facility designed to spark the revitalization of a long-underserved community.
EDiS wins second place nationally in the Willis Towers Watson Construction Safety Excellence Awards for quality construction safety programs. AGC of America oversees the awards program.
EDiS surpasses the one-million hour mark without a lost-time incident.